Dear Family,
I loved your stories this week! I laughed out loud when I read about Remi's comment in the pool.[Dad kissed Mom and we heard an agonized voice behind us say, "Ugh, romance . . . can't . . . watch."]
We were teaching our main family that we are working with about family home evening last night and we will be having their first one with them tonight. During our explanation of FHE I teared up explaining how much I missed and appreciated all those years of Monday night lessons, treats, and games with my family. Dad and Mom, I'm reminded of Elder Bednar's talk on consistency in the home and I feel that you have provided that for our family and it has made all the difference! Reece, congratulations on becoming a server [At Mimi's, after years of being a host.]! I hope your graduation goes well- remember that I am there with you in all five senses! I look forward to receiving your announcement in the mail.
I really appreciated President's charge this week. This quote from Elder Tad R. Callister rings true for me!
CHARGE:
Elder Tad R. Callister offered these thoughts on putting any disobedience on the altar of sacrifice. He said, “When I first entered the field as a mission president, I met several times with a missionary who was struggling with obedience. One day in frustration he blurted out: “What then is it that you want me to do?” I replied: “You have missed the point. It is not what I want you to do, it should be what do you want to do?” There was a moment of silence and then he made this insightful observation: “You are not just asking me to change my behavior; you are asking me to change my nature.” He was so right. If you only change your behavior, then you will be the same person you were when you left home, subject to the same problems that plagued you then. But if you change your nature you will go home a new man or woman, with the power and discipline to conquer your old Goliaths. If you get up at 6:30 am only because your companion does, you have merely changed your behavior. If you get up whether or not he does, you have changed your nature.” ( Elder Tad R. Callister, “Becoming a Consecrated Missionary,” MTC, October 7, 2008)
Let’s focus on changing our basic nature and realize the blessings that await us for obedience.
With Great Love, President Darrington
“One Lord, One Faith, 100 Baptisms!”
I especially feel this way since on my mission I have been able to notice those changes in nature that have taken place as I have prayed with faith knowing that the Lord would help me to become a better man. The Lord has helped me so much and Dad, I will definitely pray for His help in retaining the wisdom of these past two years.
So have you called and set up your visit with President yet? Just remember that he leaves at the end of June... President really helped me out a lot recently. He applied me for the returned missionary scholarship for this fall and it was approved! Every little bit helps especially with books and things. The Lord has blessed me so much and I am thankful to be serving Him on a full time mission at this time in my life.
On Monday, April 26, 2010, President Darrington sent out an inspired message calling for miracles and mighty prayer in this mission because that is what the Lord expects of us. We took this challenge and prayed fervently that the Lord would lead us to those who have been prepared as we were diligent in our finding efforts. Three days prior to President's call of duty we had tracted into a very nice woman named Karolyn who had said that we could come back to share our message the following Tuesday. She later explained that her original intention when she saw us at the door was to tell us that she was busy and not interested but she felt something different that changed her mind. Tuesday evening came and our dinner had arrived an hour late plus we had an unexpected long conversation with a drunk man about his life and how the gospel of Jesus Christ could really help him. Thirty minutes after our original scheduled time to meet with Karolyn she called and explained that she would need to leave in another half hour but that she didn't want us to think that she had missed our appointment. We apologized sincerely and set up another time to meet the next day. We both immediately knew that Karolyn was elect because she had called to reschedule an appointment that we had missed. Karolyn and her son Jonathon have since kept all of their appointments, come to Church all four weeks in a row for all three hours, attended our ward activity and young men's nights, read all of their assignments, and have done all that the Lord has asked them to do to prepare towards baptism. They will be baptized and confirmed into Christ's Church this weekend and I know that the Lord answered our prayer of faith and will continue to do so. Not only did He answer our prayer, but Karolyn later told us that she had been praying for someone or something to give her teenage son some righteous male guidance in his life since there is not a father in the home. The first Sunday they came to Church Karolyn immediately noticed the strong youth program in our ward and the benefit of having righteous Priesthood leadership for her son. The Lord answers prayers and He WILL lead us to those whom He has prepared!
Elder Engemann and I are really excited for the baptism of Karolyn and Jonathon this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.
Before I forget let me answer your two questions:
Where do you buy your groceries? Wal-mart? Publix? Winn Dixie?
Definitely Walmart. Although we do have Publix and Winn Dixie stores nearby Walmart is overall cheaper per item and is easier for us to use.
How many dinner appointments do you get per week, on average?
Recently we have been really blessed with a lot of member meals but it varies from week to week. This past week we had a dinner almost every night. This coming week we have two scheduled on the calendar because it didn't get passed around in relief society, but Karolyn has been giving us a lot of food and feeding us often. The lord definitely blessed us through the kindness of others. :)
Overall my week was really great. We also set another baptismal date with a guy in his 20's named Ryan! What a coincidence, huh?! We are going to help him prepare towards baptism. I am very happy to be serving a mission and I can honestly say that it has been the two best years of my life. I wish you all the best as you finish out the school year and I pray that the Lord will bless you in everything you do. Please tell Grandpa I said happy birthday, too! I will try to send him a belated birthday/father's day card soon. I love you all. Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Miller
Monday, May 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment