MySpace Backgrounds */ /* -- basic html elements -- */ body { padding: 0; margin: 0; font-size: small; color: #6131BD; background: #fff; text-align: center; } a { color: #c4663b; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none; } a:visited { color: #ffc2a6; } a:hover { text-decoration: underline; color: #FD0570; } h1 { margin: 0; color: #7B8186; font-size: 1.5em; text-transform: lowercase; } h1 a, h1 a:link, h1 a:visited { color: #7B8186; } h2, #comments h4 { font-size: 1em; margin-top: 2em; margin-right: 0; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 0; color: #7B8186; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/snapshot/bg-header1_left.gif) bottom right no-repeat; padding-bottom: 2px; } h3 { font-size: 1em; margin-top: 2em; margin-right: 0; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 0; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/snapshot/bg-header1_left.gif) bottom right no-repeat; padding-bottom: 2px; } h4, h5 { font-size: 0.9em; text-transform: lowercase; letter-spacing: 2px; } h5 { color: #7B8186; } h6 { font-size: 0.8em; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 2px; } p { margin-top: 0; margin-right: 0; margin-bottom: 1em; margin-left: 0; } img, form { border: 0; margin: 0; } /* -- layout -- */ #outer-wrapper { width: 700px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: left; font: normal normal 110% Arial, sans-serif; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/snapshot/bg-body_left.gif) left top repeat-y; } #header-wrapper { background: #D8DADC url(http://www.blogblog.com/snapshot/bg-headerdiv_left.gif) left top repeat-y; position: relative; _height: 0; } .descriptionwrapper { background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/snapshot/bg-sidebar.gif) 1px 0 no-repeat; width: 264px; padding-top: 0; padding-right: 0; padding-bottom: 0; padding-left: 8px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 0; position: absolute; bottom: 0px; right: 0px; } .description { border: 1px solid #F3B89D; background: #FFD1BC url(http://www.blogblog.com/snapshot/bg-profile.gif); padding-top: 10px; padding-right: 0; padding-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 7px; margin-top: 4px; margin-right: 0; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: -6px; color: #C4663B; font-weight: bold; } #header-inner { background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/snapshot/header-01_left.gif) bottom left no-repeat; _height: 0; } #main-wrapper { line-height: 1.4; float: left; padding: 10px 12px; border-top: solid 1px #fff; width: 428px; word-wrap: break-word; /* fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE */ overflow: hidden; /* fix for long non-text content breaking IE sidebar float */ /* Tantek hack - http://www.tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html */ voice-family: "\"}\""; voice-family: inherit; width: 404px; } /* IE5 hack */ #main {} #sidebar { float:right; border-top: solid 1px #fff; padding-top: 4px; padding-right: 0; padding-bottom: 0; padding-left: 7px; background: #fff; width: 264px; word-wrap: break-word; /* fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE */ overflow: hidden; /* fix for long non-text content breaking IE sidebar float */ } #footer { clear: both; background: #E9EAEB url(http://www.blogblog.com/snapshot/bg-footer_left.gif) bottom left no-repeat; border-top: solid 1px #fff; min-height: 15px; } /* -- header style -- */ #header h1 { padding-top: 12px; padding-right: 0; padding-bottom: 92px; padding-left: 4px; width: 557px; line-height: 1; } /* -- content area style -- */ #main { line-height: 1.4; } .post h3 { font-size: 1.2em; margin-bottom: 0; color: #C4663B; } .post h3 a, .post h3 a:visited { color: #C4663B; } .post { clear: both; margin-bottom: 4em; } .post-footer .post-author, .post-footer .post-timestamp { color: #B4BABE; } .uncustomized-post-template .post-author, .uncustomized-post-template .post-timestamp { float: left; margin-right: 4px; } .uncustomized-post-template .post-footer .comment-link { float: right; margin-left: 4px; } .post img { border: 1px solid #E3E4E4; padding: 2px; background: #fff; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .feed-links { clear: both; line-height: 2.5em; } #blog-pager-newer-link { float: left; } #blog-pager-older-link { float: right; } #blog-pager { text-align: center; } .comment-footer { margin-bottom: 10px; } /* -- sidebar style -- */ .sidebar .widget { margin-top: 1.3em; margin-right: 0; margin-bottom: 0.5em; margin-left: 0; } .sidebar h2 { font-size: 1.3em; } .sidebar dl { margin-top: 0; margin-right: 0; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0; } .sidebar ul { list-style: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; } .sidebar li { padding-bottom: 5px; line-height: 1 } .main .widget .clear { clear: both; } /* -- sidebar style -- */ #footer p { margin: 0; padding: 12px 8px; font-size: 0.9em; } .profile-textblock { margin-left: 0; clear: both; } .profile-img { float: left; margin-top: 0; margin-right: 10px; margin-bottom: 5px; margin-left: 0; border: 1px solid #7C78B5; padding: 4px; } /** Page structure tweaks for layout editor wireframe */ body#layout #header-wrapper { margin-top: 0; } body#layout #main-wrapper { padding:0; } -->

Monday, August 2, 2010

Re: The End of an Era August 2, 2010

Dear Dad, Mom, Reece, and Remi!

Wow. The last e-mail. It feels unreal as I am typing it now. I never knew that time could pass by so quickly. I suppose it's all relative but I have enjoyed my mission so much. It has been such a blessing to me in my life and I thank the Lord everyday for allowing me to serve Him full-time for the past two years.

Thank you for each of your comments in the e-mail. It really means a lot to me and brought tears to my eyes to hear those words from my family. Dad, I totally understand if you said everything you could say in your e-mail. [Roni was teasing Scott about not writing a last snail-mail letter.] There is a lot to talk about with you for after the mission and I look forward to that. I definitely know that you love me. I love you, too. Thank you for sharing with me what Sister Bryant said. I really appreciate hearing that. I love the Bryant family and all the other families that I have been close to on my mission. Especially those who I was able to help prepare for baptism!

Please let the Bryant family know that I definitely want them to be there. The invitation list that I sent to you was not nearly as comprehensive as I would have liked it to be. There are just so many amazing families that I have met I couldn't fit it all on the two pages I sent you. If there is any way possible please let everyone in the wards I have served in know that I would love them to be there on the 13th and/or the 15th.[We sent an invite to each ward for the bulletin board/announcements.]

Reece, thank you for what you shared with me in the e-mail. I was very touched. I thought about our bawling together in the MTC and I am definitely VERY excited to see you as well. Although I have changed a lot, it is for the best. Plus, the changes that have taken place in me will not hinder my ability to have fun and love life. Although it will take me a bit of adjusting to get used to life off the mission I am sure that we will really enjoy our time together! Love you, too, bro. See you soon!

Remi, we get to be roomies soon! I am going to give you a big hug when I see you again as well! Thank you for all of your letters and encouragement while I have been serving a mission. You are a great brother. I love you!

Mom, I don't blame you for crying. [While typing our last e-mail and definitely while reading this!] Although Reece will still tease you on occasion for it the end of a mission is definitely a time for tears. :) Tears of joy from the labor and service given, tears of sadness for having to leave such an amazing part of life, and tears from seeing family again for the first time in years. All very appropriate. So bring Kleenex with you on next Wednesday morning! I love you and look forward to having our whole family together again!

President Hall sent an inspirational email this week that talked about the way he felt about the departing missionaries:

Sisters and Elders;
We will be concluding our visits to the apartments this week, as we travel to Stuart and Cocoa. It has been a grueling experience but we have learned so much. The most important thing we have learned is how wonderful our missionaries are. We have been so impressed with your devotion, obedience, and hard work. We have been reminded that missionary work is not easy. Be reminded that God is in this work and knows what you are going through and how to sustain you. He will not forget you, don’t forget him.

Secondly, this will be our second transfer, but the first with missionaries departing. We can’t describe the feeling of loss we feel when we think of those that will be returning home. As we think of them we see such powerful missionaries and disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. Join us in praying for their last ten days, that they will have the most powerful experiences of their mission and may feel the love of the Savior, and all of us in the mission. We love, admire, and respect them for who they have become.

With Love,
President & Sister Hall


This meant a lot to me. I can tell he definitely has that mantle upon him as the new mission president. Here is my reply to his email:

President Hall,

Thank you for your comments on the departing missionaries. I have felt those prayers on my behalf and I have been doing everything within my power to be obedient, hard working, and diligent this last week of my mission- and it feels great! Our Elders Quorum President made a comment in our ward's Priesthood class this weekend that really made me feel good. He said that he has seen a lot of missionaries towards the end of their missions fizzle out but from what he has seen in me he can tell that I am finishing strong. I owe that blessing to the Lord for His divine guidance and help this last transfer and throughout my mission. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that it is my duty as a disciple of Jesus Christ to share the gospel with His children and I have found great joy in doing so (D&C 18:15-16).

This week the Lord has opened the windows of heaven and poured us out many blessings, especially with many teaching appointments and a new individual to help prepare towards baptism. His name is Steven and he is a member referral from his friend in the Hunter's Creek ward. He has been searching for answers and because he has a great fellowshipper he has already read through 1st Nephi on his own. He has one copy of the Book of Mormon in his work truck so he can read during his down time and one at his home. This man has been prepared! We taught him the Restoration this past week and extended the Lord's invitation for baptism. He accepted and I am looking forward to helping him prepare towards baptism in the month of August. I might even be able to come back for his baptism since my parents just live in Lakeland, FL! My companion and I set a weekly goal to make this the best week of our missionary work yet! I know the Lord will help us accomplish this goal. I look forward to your interviews this week as well as my departing interview with you next Tuesday. I also look forward to introducing you to my family if you are available when they pick me up on Wednesday morning. Thank you for your service and dedication to the Lord's work. You have inspired me and you and your wife will continue to be a blessing to the Florida Orlando mission.

Love,

Elder Miller


As you can tell from that I had an awesome week this past week and Elder Thomas and I are going to have an even more amazing week this week!

Just a couple of things to mention for the upcoming week: will you see if you can borrow a bike rack from a member or someone so we can still take my bike when you pick me up? That is unless you would like me to bike home. :) My suitcases and stuff should fit no problem in the back. And I am not sure what time you should be there on Wednesday morning but I am sure if you called the mission office they would let you know what would be best. I hope you get to meet President Hall and Sister Hall as well but I am not sure if they have to head out to the airport or not. Maybe you have already talked to the office about that but I am sure it will work out. I am so glad that Justin will be there when I go to Cali! Thank you for setting all of that stuff up for me. :)

I love each of you a lot and I look forward to family hugs, "dog piles," and much more when I'm with you next week. I look forward to seeing you bright and early at the mission home on Wednesday morning! I can't promise that I will have had any sleep the night before, but even if not my excitement and joy from being reunited with family will overcome any drowsiness. You have each been a great support to me on my mission and I really appreciate that. Thank you for all you do to help me. See you Wednesday!

Love,

Your missionary son and brother,

ELDER MILLER
Florida Orlando Mission
Augutst 2008- August 2010

1 comment:

Patricia Peterson said...

What a great letter. I sat here and read it and cried like it was MY son coming home. What an inspiration he is to me to endure to the end. I love it. I can't wait to see him (and you guys at some point) and hear some of his wonderful stories. Thanks for raising such a good young man! (or maybe it's thanks for housing / not corrupting etc. Cause sometimes I think they come to us all set and perhaps it's my job not to MESS IT UP!!) Love you guys!