I know that Ryan (Elder Miller) should have had the last word on his blog, but alas, he is off to the next step in his life -- attending BYU-Idaho with his brother, Reece -- after a very whirlwind month between Mission and School. He did get to spend a week in Visalia, California, where his journey began. He spoke in his home ward, and the single's ward of the stake and even taught seminary one morning, got to see a few friends, including one of his best friends who had recently returned from his own mission to New Jersey. We also made a sad trip to Illinois from Ryan's Great-grandfather's funeral. How pleased Grandpa would have been to hear Reece and Ryan play Amazing Grace on the piano and sax for him.
I thought it might be appropriate to include my "Farewell" letter to the Florida Missionary Moms group I belonged to during Ryan's mission. It tells a bit about picking Ryan up -- from my perspective. Here is is:
I thought I’d write and let you know that another of MM’s Elders has safely returned. But what a bittersweet thing to see him pulled away from something that he loves so much. We spent an hour at the mission home visiting with the Elders (and one sweet Sister missionary) returning with Elder Miller’s MTC group! Amazing to see these young men we recognized from pictures, and how their countenances had changed in the course of their service. We met President and Sister Hall and Orlando Moms, you should know what a sweet, nurturing mission mom your children have, and President Hall is doing a wonderful job at leading, teaching and guiding them to their full potential.
The mission home was a busy beehive of active elders. Coming up or downstairs to or from breakfast, but many told us that they were too nervous/excited to eat anything! They were writing in each other’s journals, trading ties and addresses. We were even treated to a duet from our missionary and another Elder and several other missionaries stopped what they were doing to listen. I had thought that they all would have left early, early in the a.m., but the AP’s were there, telling them that they’d be leaving for the airport in an hour (about 10 a.m.)
After an hour or so, after seeing how happy Elder Miller is and how confident and mature he had grown I could have almost been happy to let him stay another two years. Almost. It was hard to pull him away from something he loves so much when it is such a wonderful thing.
I noticed one thing I think many of you will appreciate: as the mother of teenagers, and a YW’s president I sometimes think that texting/talking on the cell phone (at least in certain situations) is the bane of my existence. Anyway, I noticed one Elder politely walk away from the gathered groups to the entryway of the house (not too far from his companions!) and talk on his cell phone. I overheard him say something about leaving soon, and I wondered if he were calling his parents to let them know. But then I heard him ask to speak to Elder so-and-so. Then he said, "I just wanted to give you one last piece of parting advice . . ." Wow. I was moved to tears -- for the hundredth time that morning!
And in case you were wondering, in the end I was the one who got the first hug. My other guys held back and told me to go ahead as we walked in the door. Elder Osbourne (whose parents had arrived shortly before us) was taking pictures as we all took turns tearfully embracing our Elder.
As for the special family moments . . . Our Elder’s younger brothers spent more than an hour writing, "Welcome Home. We love you Ryan," on and decorating our driveway with sidewalk chalk the night before was sweet. Luckily we took a picture of it to show him, because the rain that night washed it away! And the look on Elder Miller’s face (our eldest of three boys) when he saw that his 13-year-old little brother was nearly as tall as he is -- was priceless. Having him kindly and sweetly greet everyone we met on the street the past two days was a little glimpse into the missionary he has become. Today he gave a pass along card to an alarm salesman who came to our door! And watching him wander around and get to know our new home (remember we moved from California to Florida about half way into his mission).
We are now half-way through the Rubbermaid tote of mementos he brought home. Hearing about all his experiences, trials and joys has been amazing. I have especially loved reading what his companions, converts and ward members wrote to him in a special journal he kept for that purpose.
The toughest moment for all of us was to watch our Elder’s sorrow and anguish when our Stake president had him remove his name tags. That was one of those moments I wanted to shout, "No, wait! You can go back!"
It is absolutely wonderful to have my Ryan home, but he really isn’t my same boy . . . he’s better. I’m excited for you all – you have these experiences to look forward to!
Okay, and now I'll let the pictures do the rest.
Thanks for following Elder Ryan's journey of faith.



No comments:
Post a Comment